Wednesday 3 February 2010

mellow days

I’ve had two days slightly influenced by outside events – the arrival of workmen and parcels.

A man came to fix the radiators that were stuck on. A man came to re-hang the front door which was getting so jammed I could hardly open it. I had japed too long with my students on their way out- ‘it’s a test to see if you can keep your directions going whilst trying to open the door’- whilst I leaned back in monkey and it grudgingly gave way. My passport was delivered with new microchip which made me feel much freer – I can go back to Alonnisos, hurrah!- and another man delivered my next batch of postcards I had printed for the workshop this summer. All men. Women don’t do deliveries very much, do they?

So I had to stay in and sacrifice my swimming time, and continue my journey through publicity for my Alexander workshops on Alonnisos. It’s a long process, and requires some work at the laptop, but I am very pleased that despite this, I have somehow managed to stay relatively free, up and not an achey shoulder in sight. Clearly, all my years playing with Alexander Technique has had some benefit. I don’t really enjoy organising publicity. I like the artistic bit – designing the postcards, but sending them out, emailing everyone.....I wish I didn’t have to do all that part of the work. But we all have to wave a flag , let people know we’re here, keep the wolf from the door. How lovely it must be to have a business assistant who could do all that! I guess this blog is partly about publicity. But I enjoy this. The old writer in me.

I changed my Tuesday. I was due to visit a training and go to Chi Kung class, but I had a student book in extra and I realised I needed to be in this hibernating state, so instead gave myself the pleasure of watching Carousel on the tv and sobbing as usual ( how unright-on is that to ‘What’s the use of wonderin’ if he’s good or if he’s bad...?’ Oh yes and of course when he hits her it’s as though she cannot feel it....hah! )

I visited my niece who lives 10 minutes away for a late beer, before heading home for my bed. Sometimes it is necessary to go with the flow of the weather and be kind to myself. Not surprisingly some of my students seemed also in this mellow February mood: trying stopped, and acceptance started.

No comments:

Post a Comment