Thursday 28 January 2010

Coincidence?

I had a joyous morning with my 1st year groups at ArtsEd this morning: more experiments in breathing. I brought in some models of ribs which I dished out and then I remembered the real goat ribs I had in my locker which I had found three years ago on the mountain near the Old Village in Alonnisos, so I trotted off and brought them in, so we could compare. Then a 5 minute meditation, the Mindfulness of Breathing taught me by the Friends of the Western Order of Bhuddists. It's so simple and so profound and for many of the students the first time they have experienced that sort of focus. One who always uses so much effort to get around of course nearly nodded off, and found it a little alarming. They are to practice this for themselves this week, and let me know how they get on. When I worked with them hands-on in individual tutorials later, I really felt I had conscious people under my hands - when I placed my hands on their backs, either side of their ribs, they were all responsive and alive. Fantastic. They are coming on so well and I think it's due hugely to the body mapping. Here's to the Conables! When I was on my training I found Barbara rather formidable in her US certainty: Give me a student and I can help them change in 6 weeks ....(didnlt FM say the same?). I remember being very relieved when questioned she admitted to having some students who didn't quite get it and failed. Phewf! Now I understand how she could say it though. Yes, I can help people change in 6 weeks , not all, but a lot.
The aftrenoon was spent again helping with 12thNight 3rd Year Production - I was using the Higher Creative Self exercise to get them into the physicality if their characters. Aguecheek and Belch, Maria, Sebastian, Viola...all appearing before my eyes, and making me smile. Three private lessons in the physio room (I am so glad I don't use it too often - that loud air conditioning device would drive me mad) and then off smartush to be back in time for a coupe iof lessons at home.
On the tube I often look at my watch, or have a slight concern at getting somewhere in time. I refused to do this today. I know the route so well, I know how long it takes, I just inhibited looking at my watch. After all if I arrived late there would be nothing I could do about it anyway. And I just enjoyed the book I was reading instead. I read so much more since I gave up the car. And I am lucky that I have no claustrophobia. I think I find it a little womb-like the tube. Except when it's too much of a crush and i'm surrounded by VERY TALL people. I'm only 5' 3" after all ....(still not shrunk I am pleased to say despite my lightening bones.
Now one of my students tonight told me an amazing story - she was at the Wigmore Hall recently and the person behind her asked her to sit lower in the seat as she was blocking the view. OK it's an indication of her expanding height, but most extraordinary was that I had the exact same experience there 30 years ago when I first started having Alexander lessons in my 20's. I was mortified and felt I was being asked to pull down and hurt my back, and my fiance at the time thought I was being over sensitive.... Tonight my student and I found a way of sitting lower in a chair without pulling down. Not so easy but possible. And a good discussion as to the poor design of audience seating at Wigmore Hall!

No comments:

Post a Comment