Sunday 24 January 2010

The weekend

I saw a lot of friends and family this weekend. More than one had a bad back. I hinted that lying in semi-supine might be a good idea....
I stayed with a friend in Portsmouth and spent a lot of time sitting on the floor when eating drinking port (mmm!) or watching tv. Why are you sitting on the floor? he exclaimed. It was true there were several cumfy chairs and cushions and a HUGE sofa. O the torture of the cumfy chair! (cf Monty Python and the Spanish Inquisition.) I was perplexed. I had sort of found myself on the floor without consciously thinking. ' Er.....because I'm used to it I suppose' I replied. I think I find it more comfortable. You see, I don't actually have a sofa in my living room..... and it means at any momet i could just rollover, put my knees up and have a quick semi-soop anytime I liked. Family is always interesting. I love my siblings very very much. We don't live very near each other so we always get together once a year for dinner to catch up and actually see each other in the flesh. What is intersting for me is to see the family use patterns and pull-downs, and inhibit going into rapport with that, but stay up and out and in my directed state. There but for the grace of FM go I. None of them have had a couerse of lessons. I have given them all a little hands-on from time to time when in need through pain, or to still their curiosity.
I do want to use this space to trumpet my brother Tom's good character. He retired from being a postie on a rural round in the New Forest, which he's been doing for 15 years..? Anyway he had HUNDREDS of thank you cards from the people on his round - i turns out he used to do shopping for them, round up their sheep whene they got out, catch their stray horse....AND last autumn he was nominated and given a Good Neighbourhood Award. I am so proud of him, not least because he is so self effacing and we only discoverd today when my sister in law mentioned it in passing.... That's just doing it, isn't it? No fuss, no bother, not trying hard to get things right, just living his life with kindliness and authenticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment